Registration is now open! Click here
In this interdisciplinary conference, we explore the intersection of soundscapes and acoustic ecology studies (Murray Schafer 1977; Truax 1978) with urban, applied ethnomusicology’s focus on human subjects (Hemetek and Reyes 2007; Jurková 2012) and with sociological understandings of the cultural restructuring of urban space (Fainstein and Campbell, 2011; LeGates 2011; Bridge and Watson 2010), through an evocation of ‘critical citizenship’ (Nell et al, 2012).
The conference features individual papers and panel presentations that address the following questions:
- Where is the individual located in urban (soundscape) studies?
- How do the sounds of a city shape human experience?
- What role does sound play in the cultural restructuring of urban space?
- Might soundscape projects be part of urban regeneration and renewal and if so, in what ways?
- How can we create/capture urban soundscapes and what motivates us to do so?
- How might the relationship between the city and the individual be reframed sonically?
- What critical potentials are unleashed in applied soundscape work?
- Are soundscapes mere reflections of acoustic and other realities, or might they construct pathways for greater interaction between cities and their people?
- What are contemporary methodological challenges in representing urban soundscapes?
- What new technologies allow for the reimagining of applied soundscapes production and manipulation?
- How can we productively bring together lessons from different disciplines in relation to urban, societal, cultural and acoustic ecologies in order to imagine a better, lived, urban experience?
Keynote speakers include:
– Dr. Ursula Hemetek, University of Music and Performing Arts Vienna (Applied/Urban Ethnomusicology)
– Dr. Giacomo Bottà, University of Helsinki (Urban Studies)
– Milena Droumeva, Simon Fraser University (Sound Studies)
– Peter Cusack, CRiSAP/University of the Arts, London (Sound Arts Practices).
Programme and local arrangements committee:
- Dr. Aileen Dillane, Irish World Academy, University of Limerick
- Dr. Tony Langlois, Dept. of Media, Mary Immaculate College, University of Limerick.
- Dr. Martin Power, Dept. of Sociology, University of Limerick.
- Dr. Eoin. Devereux, Dept. of Sociology, University of Limerick.
- Dr. Mikael Fernström, Interaction Design Centre and Department of Computer Science and Information Systems, University of Limerick.
- Dr. Orfhlaith Ní Bhriain, Irish World Academy, University of Limerick